Direct-acting antivirals for Hepatitis C

01 Sep 2023
Hepatitis C
01 Sep 2023

It’s been a long time coming, but medicines to treat hepatitis C are finally becoming available. While 30% of people who contract hepatitis C clear the infection from their bodies without treatment, the remaining 70% develop chronic infections requiring treatment. Without treatment, chronic hepatitis C infection can cause life-threatening liver disease and liver cancer.

Over the last decade, a new class of medicines called direct-acting antivirals, or DAAs, has transformed hepatitis C treatment. After years of regulatory delays, two DAA regimens were finally registered in South Africa last year.

Read the full story from Spotlight via Daily Maverick, who discuss the improving accessibility and affordability of these newer treatments for Hepatitis.